1 large green cabbage
1.5 tsp sea salt
1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- Cut the cabbage in half and remove the core
- Cut the halves into quarters and slice the quarters as thin as possible. You should have about 5 cups of shredded cabbage.
- Put the cabbage into a bowl with 3.5 tsp sea salt and caraway if you are using.
- Thoroughly work the salt into the cabbage with your hands until the cabbage begins to release juices.
- Pack the cabbage into a glass jar. Press the cabbage down as you pack it in.
- If there is not enough liquid to cover the cabbage, top it with a brine made from: 1 cup water and 1 tbsp salt
- Loosly cover the lid (or put a weight over the cabbage so water will submerge the cabbage) and let the cabbage ferment at room temperature for 1 week or so (in warm weather, it will ferment within a few days).
- Taste often and when it reaches the flavor you like, put in the fridge to stop the fermentation.