2 medium onions
4 large carrots
6 stalks celery
4 cloves garlic
2C Starchy vegetables*
4C seasonal vegetables**
3C leafy greens
12C vegetable or chicken broth
1C cooked grains and or lentils
*Starchy vegetables include: sweet potatoes and winter squashes
**Seasonal vegetables may include: turnips, peppers, zucchini, fennel, leek, kohlrabi, mushroom, cabbage, etc.
1. Dice all the vegetables
2. Saute onion and leek in olive oil for a few minutes until soft.
3. Add carrots, celery, and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add all other ingredients beside leafy greens and grain, bring it to boil and simmer for 20 minutes or so until all the vegetables are soft.
5. Add grains, salt and pepper while soup is simmering.
6. Add the leafy greens a few minutes before the soup is done so that they keep the bright color.
7. Season with salt and pepper, and any other herbs of your choice (rosemary, basil, herb de province, oregano, etc.)